Virtual Lobby Week starts March 1
The Nebraska Society for Respiratory Care is joining the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) for Virtual Lobby Week March 1-12, 2013.
Members of the NSRC Political Advocacy Contact Team (PACT) also will be traveling to Washington, DC to meet personally with Nebraska representatives about the act. Last year’s team met with Sen. Mike Johanns, among others.
Both groups are asking members and affiliated respiratory therapy staff, students, patients, nurses and other personnel to participate in their 2013 letter writing campaign regarding the Respiratory Therapists Access Act of 2013.
More information about the campaign can be found on the AARC’s Virtual Lobby Week website:
Templates for letters of support, as well as information about contacting Congressional representatives, can be found on the AARC Advocacy website: http://capwiz.com/aarc/home/
When writing your letters, please include these facts regarding respiratory therapy in Nebraska:
- There are more than 1,000 licensed respiratory therapists in Nebraska.
- According to the American Lung Association’s 2012 Estimated Prevalence and Incidence of Lung Disease, 221,965 Nebraskans have been diagnosed with pulmonary disease:
- 107,100 of Nebraskans are diagnosed with adult asthma.
- 59,279 are diagnosed with chronic bronchitis.
- 26, 505 are diagnosed with emphysema.
- Passage of the Medicare Respiratory Therapy Access Act will give the physician the option to utilize the respiratory therapists’ skill set and increase access to care for a subset of Medicare beneficiaries. This is especially important given the predictions of physician shortages with the aging of the baby boomers into the Medicare system and the ever-increasing cost of treating chronic diseases.